Heavy snowfall and icy roads are the usual happenings of the winter season.
You cannot avoid travelling just because of cold weather, which is why it is wise to have tire chains stacked in your car to tackle any worst-case scenario.
As the winter season reaches its peak, the possibility of snowstorms increases tenfold.
In that case, to avoid snowstorms befall you like a lightning bolt, it is advisable to have tire chains installed before embarking on any journey.
Whether you are an owner of a heavy vehicle like truck and SUV, or a small car, sudden snowstorms are a nuisance for all alike.
Therefore, investing in tire chains beforehand is most likely going to save you from any hassle.
In this article, we have assembled some of the best snow chains along with their pluses and minuses for you.
Going through the list, you can decide which product suits your needs and pocket best.
- Buying Guide for Tire Chains
- Top Picks of Best Tire Chains
- 1. KONIG XB-16 255 Snow Chains
- 2. Buyplus Tire Chains for Cars
- 3. Peerless 0231705 Auto-Trac Light Truck/SUV Tire Traction Chains
- 4. Security Chain Company QG2228CAM Quick-Grip Light Truck CAM LSH Tire Traction Chain
- 5. Security Chain Company SZ339 Shur Grip Super Z Passenger Car Tire Traction Chain
- 6. Glacier Chains H2314SLC Light Truck Chains
- 7. Security Chain Company QG2828 V-Bar Light Truck Chain
- 8. KONIG XG-12 PRO 227 Snow Chains
- 9. Security Chain Company ZT741 Super Z LT Chains
- 10. KONIG XB-16 245 Snow Chains
Buying Guide for Tire Chains
When you have to drive in special circumstances such as snowfall and snowstorms, the easy driving process can become quite dangerous if you are not well-equipped and prepared beforehand.
This is where the need for tire chains arise.
They are specifically designed for such sticky situations. They boost traction and grip of tires with the help of cable or chained construction.
If you want to purchase the best snow chains for your vehicle, you have to make sure that they are compatible with your car.
Some vehicles have a complicated traction control system, so the repairing process becomes very expensive if the chains get damaged.
Some key facts should be kept in mind to make informed buying decisions.
It is not necessary that your vehicle will support even the best tire chains.
It is because some do not have clearing fenders or their traction control system is very complicated. In that case, it is better that you go for the “ladder track” kind of tire chains.
They are suitable for all types of vehicles so you will only have to worry about finding the right size for your wheels.
Find the appropriate driving mode after installation.
Although many cars are compatible with setting up of snow chains, you will still have to make sure that you choose the perfect fit for your wheels’ size.
The snow chains measure the width. So to find the correct size, you’ll have to check the width of your tire.
All brands mention the size range, which starts from as small as 135mm to as wide as 325mm.
Only the size that fits snugly on your tires will give you the desired results.
The snow chains increase the size of the tire.
So it is advisable to check the clearance measurement of every brand to avoid the issue of low ground clearance.
Tire chains are classified into entry-level, standard, premium and alternative traction.
Entry-level is for minor snow. In heavy snow and ice premium works best.
The alternative traction is for vehicles with low profile tires.
Most brands use metal chains for harsh weather. The alternative cable chains are used because they need less clearance and are lighter in weight.
The SAE class S chains are for vehicles with restricted clearance. In the absence of this restriction, they will be termed as SAE class U.
Snow chains come in ladder, square, diamond, and diagonal style. The ladder is common for snow, ice and off-road use.
Diamond style provides higher traction in heavy snow, but they have a speed restriction.
Top Picks of Best Tire Chains
1. KONIG XB-16 255 Snow Chains
Winters have arrived, and so has the time to purchase the best set of tire chains.
These KONIG XB-16 chains are the first pick of many users because of their best overall value for money.
They are tested in the Italian Alps so there is no question about their reliability.
Due to this, they can be an excellent choice for those who dwell in areas with heavy snow.
They offer a long life guarantee because they are composed of a hardened manganese nickel alloy.
The manual tensioning system means you have to make one stop after installation to snug the fitting.
You do not have to worry about the chains damaging your wheels. Their Nylon bumpers keep the metal away from your car wheels, preventing abrasion.
- Specifically designed for trucks and SUVs.
- Easy installation
- Anti-abrasion Nylon bumpers
- Long-life usage.
- Hefty price tag.
- Many buyers do not like the manual tensioning system.
2. Buyplus Tire Chains for Cars
This is another eye-catching design for those who do not want conventional metal chains for tires.
They are bright yellow straps, which also make them easily visible on snow not only during day time but also at night.
It comes in a set of 8 pads that can be passed through the tire and strapped. You can get them on easily without the hassle of moving your vehicle.
This also makes them a universal fit.
They provide the necessary friction for firm grip through a unique addition of anti-slip studs instead of the traditional chain. These anti-slip studs ensure smooth driving on snowy and icy roads.
These easy-to-install, small size and extremely low price features make them the immediate pick for emergency uses.
- Universal fit
- Easy installation
- Anti-abrasion property
- Anti-slip nails
- Low temperature resistant
- Restricted usage because of the 25MPH limit.
3. Peerless 0231705 Auto-Trac Light Truck/SUV Tire Traction Chains
Finding the best tire chains for trucks becomes tiresome when you are looking for unique designs and features.
Security Chain Company has solved this problem for you with their Peerless Auto-Trac Light Traction Chains design which is specifically designed for truck tires and SUVs. They promise a very quick installation process.
Their self-tightening ratchets will automatically take care of maintaining the appropriate pressure when driving.
Their diamond-patterned cross chains offer excellent traction and ensure a super smooth ride.
They are highly suitable for low clearance vehicles and also lower the risk of damage to your vehicle.
- Suitable for areas with heavy snow.
- Suitable for tires with 205-275 mm width.
- Automatic tightening with the help of self-tightening ratchets.
- Easy to install.
- Meets the “S” class clearance requirement.
- Smooth performance
- Eliminates loose chains to prevent re tightening.
- You cannot exceed 30MPH.
- Only suitable for trucks and SUVs.
- Not very suitable for muddy surfaces.
4. Security Chain Company QG2228CAM Quick-Grip Light Truck CAM LSH Tire Traction Chain
They are suitable for almost all types of light trucks or SUVs. The metal chains provide a good alternative for traditional cable chains. These chains also offer higher stability in snowy conditions.
Security Chain Company has solved the laborious adjustment problem by coming up with a Quick-Grip link chain system which makes it easy to install.
It is not only suitable for on-road but off-road use as well. This chain-link provides them with more durability as well. So you get to enjoy double functions by spending less money.
- Easy installation
- Suitable for on-road as well as off-road use.
- Suitable for only light trucks and SUVs.
- All metal chains design might be a put off for some buyers.
5. Security Chain Company SZ339 Shur Grip Super Z Passenger Car Tire Traction Chain
For all those people who do not want to buy traditional metal chains for their truck tires, the Security Company has solved the problem by coming up with a Class S cable chain design.
Its performance is smooth because of the cable chain material. It ensures better traction and snug grip on snow than other conventional cable chains.
The design comes with a self-tightening rubber tightener.
Meaning, now you do not have to go through the trouble of manually tightening the cable after installation. It will also automatically maintain the required tension once installed.
The design is suitable for SUVs and many passenger vehicles.
- Suitable for low clearance vehicles.
- Inherent rubber tighteners.
- Suitable for most passenger cars.
- Better all-round traction
- Not suitable for heavy-duty usage.
6. Glacier Chains H2314SLC Light Truck Chains
These have a case hardened square link chain design to provide superior grip and traction on icy roads. Another unique feature is their side-cam locking technique for hassle-free installation and effortless tightening.
The design is made with rust-resistant alloy steel to ensure durability.
- Suitable for highway use.
- Quick installation
- Side-cam locking for effortless tightening.
- Not intended for off-road use.
- No rim protection.
7. Security Chain Company QG2828 V-Bar Light Truck Chain
These Quick-Grip chains are designed in a traditional ladder-style chain link. To give them more durability, low carbon steel is used in each “V’ shape link.
What makes them the best tire chains for trucks and SUVs is their superior traction in snow, ice, and muddy surface alike. All in all, they are helpful for driving on difficult roads.
They are packed in a reusable plastic casing that can be easily stacked in your vehicle.
- Suitable for SUVs and small trucks.
- Low carbon steel for extra durability.
- Compact packaging to fit in any vehicle.
- Do not meet SAE ‘S’ class clearance.
- Separate chain tighteners are required for using them.
8. KONIG XG-12 PRO 227 Snow Chains
They are specially designed with welded double traction plates, a perfect fit for small trucks and SUVs.
They feature a patented micro regulation system to provide excellent tension to the chains.
They are perfect for vehicles with aluminium rims. Their one-stop installation system makes them one of the best truck chains.
- Self-tensioning system.
- Rim protection.
- Suitable for heavy vehicles.
- Micro-regulation for tensioning
- Expensive product.
9. Security Chain Company ZT741 Super Z LT Chains
Due to its versatility in designs, the Security Chain Company provides the best tire chains for trucks. The inherent rubber-tensioner prevents any stop after installation.
It also offers better traction, durability and compatibility with anti-lock brakes and traction control systems.
The S.A.E. “S” class clearance and low damage potential make it reliable than other conventional chains.
- Built-in rubber tensioner.
- SAE “S” class clearance.
- Fastest installation.
- Cable chain material might damage alloy wheels.
10. KONIG XB-16 245 Snow Chains
These handmade Italian chains are made of manganese nickel alloy to improve durability and prevent corrosion.
The dual-sided D-shaped links provide excellent traction and grip in harsh weather conditions. The additional tensioning devices are for easy installation and snug fit on tires to enhance performance.
- Integrated rubber tensioners.
- D-shape links for extra traction.
- Sturdy plastic casing for storage.
- Pricey than other conventional tire chains.
- Manual tensioning.
Why use tire chains?
Tire chains are simply used to improve the grip of the vehicle on an icy or snow cover terrain. Increasing the road grip, they make riding in icy safer by improving the friction.
Will tire chains damage tires?
Tire chains are meant to be only used on icy or snowy roads. If used on bare tarmac, it will damage both, tires as well as the road.
The risk of driving in snow will lessen substantially if you have already picked the best set of tire chains for your truck to ensure smooth travelling.
To avoid any nuisance, it is better to make sure the design is compatible with your vehicle.
Also, read Best 4 Channel AMP for Door Speakers