In this world full of adventures, you want to ride to different places. From twisties where you can lean your bike to the places where there’s hardly any road.
But, you don’t want to be lost in a place where even Google Maps can’t help you out.
For those adventure trips, cross-country tours where you can be easily lost, GPS devices are a must. Which are made especially for rugged usage and can handle anything you throw at them.
There are quite a few companies that offer great GPS devices for motorcycles, including TomTom and Garmin. We are going to be discussing Garmin in this article.
Garmin is well-known for creating superior products for automotive, aviation, marine, outdoor sports. Same stands for motorcycles.
Two of their very popular motorcycle GPS devices are Zumo 590lm and 595lm.
While both devices are quite similar, there are few things that make the one better equipped than the other one.
595lm is basically the successor of 590lm, it has all the additional features that were left out by the company in the previous model.
Let’s discuss a few things that you need to consider when choosing between both of these devices.
- Things In Common
- What 595lm has that 590lm does not have?
- Which One Is Best For Me?
Things In Common
1. Screen Size
The screen size on both the devices is 5 inches with a resolution of 800×480, which is enough to see all the details clearly on the screen. The directions and instructions can be easily seen on the screen. Both screens support touch controls, which work even with gloves and are readable in sunlight.
2. Battery Backup
The battery backup is not going to be an issue because the device is going to be connected to your motorcycle battery all the time. But still, for the record. The battery lasts 4 hrs on both the devices.
You can play music on both devices. 590lm supports MP3 player, iPods, and Pandora 2. Whereas the 595lm additionally lets you play and control Spotify from your smartphone and media from your music player.
4. Text-to-speech and Voice Guidance
Text-to-speech is available on both devices. You will get timely voice prompts with street names when you need to make turns on the streets.
IPX7 water resistance is available on both devices, can handle fuel spills, UV rays and harsh weather conditions. These devices are tough enough to handle cruising and adventure riding alike.
6. Traffic and Weather
If you connect your smartphone, you can get weather updates and know what to expect on the road and avoid traffic.
Other things in Common
- Point of Interest
- Speed camera warning
- Same dimensions and weight
- Lifetime map updates
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Both have 2D and 3D maps
What 595lm has that 590lm does not have?
1. Spotify and Pandora Streaming via Phone and Music Players
Garmin 595lm supports Lets you stream and control Spotify/Pandora via the Smartphone link app. Which means you can listen to your favorite playlists while you ride. I personally love Spotify just because of how it’s algorithm works. It knows the type of music I like and helps me discover new music while I ride.
2. Hands-Free Call And Notifications
With Bluetooth, you can take calls hands-free. Also, the 595lm will show a notification light when you receive a notification on your phone and read messages for you.
3. Garmin Adventurous Routing
You can choose the type of riding style from hills, highways, or twisties. This feature will tailor your journey according to your preference and you can enjoy the type of riding according to your mood.
4. Live Tracking
The live tracking feature comes in handy when you are going for a ride and someone from your family or friends wants to know your location and wants to make sure that you are reaching safe wherever you go. Live tracking allows you to share your real-time location with your loved ones so that they don’t have to call you every hour to ask where have you reached.
Which One Is Best For Me?
Finally, making the choice is up to you. It depends on your budget and the number of features you are looking for. Why would you pay $100 extra if you are not going to use the extra features that you get for those $100?
If you are a general commuter and want a GPS device just to explore the roads, then the 390lm will be the right choice for you. But, if you are an adrenaline junky, and like to take the road less traveled, then the 395lm would be a better option.
Riding on long roads for hours can be boring sometimes. Listening to your favorite music can help you kill boredom. In that case, you should go with 395lm as it comes with Spotify and Pandora Integration through the smartphone app.
The Live Tracking feature on the 395lm can work as a great safety feature when you are traveling alone. Your loved ones can check your location and cut the hassle of calling you multiple times, as we all know taking calls while riding is not the luxury most motorcyclists have unless you have an intercom or earphones plugged in.
- Display - zūmo 590LM is our first motorcycle navigator to offer a 5” sunlight-readable display. Glove-friendly anddual-orientation capable, it’s designed for any road and any rider
- Music-Media Player - Includes MP3 player; iPod and Pandora2 compatibility lets you control music right on the display
- Traffic and Weather - The Smartphone Link app tells what to expect ahead with weather radar, trafficavoidance and more (Available for iPhone and AndroidTM phones).
- Rugged - Resistant to water (IPX7)3, fuel spills, UV rays and harsh conditions, zūmo 590LMis tough enough for cruising and adventure riding alike.
- Roads - Ride your favorite twisty. Set zūmo 590LM to navigate to winding rides. Take your ride off the road. zūmo 590LM lets you download and view 3-D terrain detail (Additional mapping sold separately).
- Premium motorcycle GPS for new adventures in riding
- Glove- , sunlight-readable 5-inch dual-orientation touchscreen with rugged design for harsh weather (IPX7)
- Garmin Adventurous Routing finds curvy or hilly roads; limits major highways
- Rider alerts for sharp curves, state helmet laws, speed cameras (not available in all regions) and more
- Bluetooth for hands-free calling and smartphone notifications right on your zūmo screen (requires Bluetooth-compatible helmet, headset or smartphone (sold separately) and the free Smartphone Link app)
GPS devices are a smart piece of invention that makes life a lot easier for adventurous motorcycle enthusiasts. While there are a number of GPS companies in the market, Garmin Zumo 590lm and 595lm are the 2 devices that come in the top list of best GPS devices for motorcyclists.
While both devices are great, the 590lm just does the job and 595lm has some extra features that might attract some customers.