What is Motorcycle Drifting?
Drifting is a riding technique where the rider intentionally oversteers, with loss of traction, while maintaining control and riding the motorcycle through the entirety of a corner.Wikipedia
Drifting is one of my favourite tricks to perform on a motorcycle.
I mean, who doesn’t like the smoke coming out from burning rubber?
It gets the adrenaline pumping.
Some people are so crazy about drifting, they have made special modifications to their motorcycles for drifting only.
These modifications include extended swingarms, turbos for extra hp which makes the throttle response almost instant.
Check Out Top 5 Online Stores for Motorcycle Auto Parts
That doesn’t mean everyone who wants to drift has to include these modifications on their motorcycle.
But few small modifications like frame sliders can be good for safety if you are planning to perform some tricks with your motorcycle.
There are very few chances that anything can go wrong when compared to other tricks which are comparatively difficult to perform.
Drifting is very simple, you just have to hit the sweet spot.
But still, it can go wrong in worst cases, so keeping safety in mind, wear proper gear before getting on your motorcycle.
Enough of talking, Let’s burn some rubber.
This is just a tutorial trying to explain how it works and it’s still a dangerous thing to do. Do it at your own risk.
How to Drift a Motorcycle?
Prepping Your Motorcycle
- Increase air pressure in the rear tyre, this helps reduce the grip. the front doesn’t matter, you can keep it as usual.
- Heat up your rear tyre by doing some regular burn-outs.
Let’s get to it
- Start moving in 1st gear, as you gain momentum, start do the power brake and pull in the clutch a little.
- Lean into the way you want to drift and let go of the clutch.
- Now control the speed of your rear tyre with the throttle.
- If rear tyre starts to gain grip, add more throttle.
Check Out This Video For Help
It wasn’t that difficult right?
Maybe it is, but things will be different if you already know how to burn-out.
How to Burn-out?
Burnout is the first step in drifting. if you know how to do a burnout, drifting will be very easy for you.
- Put your motorcycle in 1st gear.
- Pull front brake, and rev the throttle while letting go off the clutch slowly.
- This will get your rear tyre rolling.
This all might look simple, but you need to practice numerous times before you can master this skill.
Also Read How To Parallel Park