In today’s world, riding a motorcycle offers an unmatched experience. With the roaring of the engine, the control your fingers have on the handlebars, the adrenaline rush, and the beauty of nature that surrounds you when you cruise down a road is what many people desire to experience just once in their lives.
Besides the feeling of freedom, some serious dangers are associated with riding a bike on an open road especially if you are not wearing a helmet. Though a motorcyclist requires a lot of gears to protect several parts of their body but the most sensitive and important part to protect is the head. During an accident the most vulnerable part of the body to injury is head and as a matter of fact, the riders wearing a helmet have more chance of survival as compared to those who ride without a helmet.
So, how a helmet does protects from a brain injury? Brain trauma occurs due to an impact on the human skull that can cause an open skull fracture or concussion. But if you are wearing protective gear it will absorb the energy of an impact and protects your head from any critical injury.
- Motorcycle Helmet’s Components and Anatomy
- Top 10 Helmets Under The Price Of 200$
- 1. AGV K1 Helmet
- 2. Scorpion EXO-R420 Tracker
- 3. HJC 980-615 IS-MAX II Modular Motorcycle Helmet
- 4. Bell SRT Street Motorcycle Helmet
- 5. TORC T15 Full Face Motorcycle Helmet with Graphic
- 6. ILM Motorcycle Bike Helmet Full Face Carbon Fiber Shell
- 7. Fox Racing V1 Boba Fett Limited Edition
- 8. FreedConn Bluetooth Integrated Motorcycle Helmet
- 9. LS2 Helmets Full Face Stream Street Helmet
- 10. ILM Bluetooth Integrated Modular Flip-up Helmet
- Buyers Guide
Motorcycle Helmet’s Components and Anatomy
Selecting the right helmet to wear is as much important as wearing a helmet. For this, we need to understand the material used in helmets and the components of a motorcycle helmet. Below are some of the components that make up the helmet to protect the rider:
The exterior body of a helmet is called the shell which plays a vital role in protecting your head from injury as it absorbs all the forces during an impact. The material used for the shell determines the weight and price of the helmet. Generally, it comes in three materials that are listed as:
- Fiber Glass or Composite Fiber
- Kevlar or Carbon Fiber
- Poly Carbonate
The shell is coated with a layer of paint that not only gives an attractive appearance to the helmet but also reflects the heat to make it comfortable to wear.
2. EPS Liner
EPS stands for expanded polystyrene. This layer comes right after the shell and is composed of thick, dense foam. The purpose of this layer is to cushion your head and to absorb all sorts of impacts protecting your head from minor to deadliest injuries. Brain injuries can also happen from intense acceleration or sudden stop of the head that occurs at the time collision which results in the movement of the brain inside the skull. This movement can damage the nerves and tissue of the brain. EPS liner with its high density not only increases the distance of impact but also decelerates the movement, hence increasing the duration over which the head stops.
3. Comfort Liner
The comfort liner is a layer of fabric that plays an important to determine how comfortably helmet fits on your head. This line is preferably made of anti-bacterial fabric and can absorb the sweat. The liner will provide the utmost benefit if it can be easily removable and washable. There is another feature where the helmet comes with a moisture-wicking liner that keeps them clean and dry.
4. Cheek Pads
Cheek pads usually add comfort to the helmet and are made up of the same material as the comfort liner. Another important purpose of cheek pads is to keep the helmet intact at the time of the collision.
Vents are used for ventilation in the helmet. These vent points are located mostly at the chin bar, over the eyebrow, and at the rear end of the helmet. The front-facing vents act as an inlet for airflow while the rear ones act as the exhaust for airflow. This ventilation keeps the heat and humid out of the helmet. Vents also come in adjustable mode to control the airflow, especially in cold weather.
The front moveable shield of the helmet that protects the eyes of the rider from rain and dust are called visors. Usually, visors come in clear but some manufacturer offers tinted visor as an option. Tinted visors protect eyes from ultraviolet radiation while some visors also come with a feature of anti-fogging that stops the formation of mist on visor due to temperature variations.
7. Retention and Closure System
Chinstrap that keeps the helmet in position forms the closure system. The most common, reliable, and secure closure system that is found in helmets is the double D ring system.
Top 10 Helmets Under The Price Of 200$
As we have understood the anatomy of the motorcycle helmet and its purpose, here is the list of top 10 helmets and its features that can be purchased under 200$.
1. AGV K1 Helmet
AGV K1 Helmet has an outermost shell made up of thermoplastic resin. The shell has great finishing with a spoiler at the rear that gives an aggressive look to it. The helmet is lightweight and weighs only 6.22 pounds. It has a double chin vent than can be adjusted with an internal
slider to control the airflow. The visor has a large aperture that makes it great for round visibility and it can be operated with an easily located tab on the left-hand side.
- AGV K1 comes with 6 position setting for the visor that allows the visor to be opened even for the tiniest amount.
- The lining plus the chin skirt are fully removable. To add the feature there is also space available for speakers.
2. Scorpion EXO-R420 Tracker
Shell is composed of an advanced LG Polycarbonate and weighs only 3.5 pounds. Double D Ring closure system is installed for the fastening of chip strap. The design boasts two intake vents are used for venting purposes, one at the forehead and the other at the chin with an exhaust vent at the rear. The interior of Scorpion EXO-R420 has Kwikfit cheek pads that provide comfortable fitting. It is also designed to provide smooth handling of eyeglasses. Tabs are available for easy removal of cheek pads.
- The face shield can be changed with Ellip-Tec II Ratchet System.
3. HJC 980-615 IS-MAX II Modular Motorcycle Helmet
This modular motorcycle helmet has an outer Shell is composed of Advanced Polycarbonate Composite with an adjustable polycarbonate chin bar. The helmet is designed with CAD technology to provide greater comfort and fitting. A face shield can be released with a single button located at the chin bar.
- Advanced optical face shield offers 95% U.V. protection with an inserted pin lock.
- Advanced Channeling is provided for the ventilation system. Airflow from front to back removes all the humidity and heat and makes it comfortable to wear.
4. Bell SRT Street Motorcycle Helmet
Fiberglass is used to manufacture the outer shell of the helmet and comes in a clear shield with a choice to buy in a tinted shield. This one of a kind helmet weighs only 3.8 pounds. Inner linings come with a design to make it compatible with eyewear.
- EPS has depressed pockets for an option to install speakers.
- Panovision face shield with class one optics provides the rider an additional lateral and vertical visibility. It helps in changing lanes more safely with better head-checks.
- Double D-Ring closure system to keep the helmet in place.
5. TORC T15 Full Face Motorcycle Helmet with Graphic
Advanced Thermo polymer alloy is used for the outer shell with a scratch resistive, anti-fogging visor. With its durable design it provides stability at speed with a build-in spoiler and superior air ventilation
- Weighs around 5.58 pounds.
- Approved with the certification of DOT & ECE 22.05
- Inner paddings are easily removable and washable.
6. ILM Motorcycle Bike Helmet Full Face Carbon Fiber Shell
This helmet is unique in that Carbon fiber is used for the outer shell that makes the helmet ultra-lightweight. Comfortable liners are attached inside the helmet that is easily removable and washable.
- Helmet meets or exceeds FMVSS-218 and DOT Safety Standards.
- Scratch resistive visor provides durability, with an option of clear and tinted visors that can be replaced easily.
- Multiple vents provided both at the front and rear for more ventilation.
- Double-D ring fastening system for better safety.
7. Fox Racing V1 Boba Fett Limited Edition
The V1 Youth Helmet is new product in the line of many successful products made by Fox. The color and design is inspired by Mandalorian armor, giving it an aesthetic and catchy look.
- Injection-molded polycarbonate shell with 9 intake vents and 4 exhaust vents to provided super cooling effect.
- Approved with ECE and DOT certifications.
- Weighs ranges between 3.1 to 16 pounds
8. FreedConn Bluetooth Integrated Motorcycle Helmet
Freedconn Helmet is Equipped with Bluetooth 3.0 technology with a range of 1640 feet to provide long-distance communication. 3 riders can pair at the same time but only 2 riders can intercom. One button control for hands-free call handling, play/stop MP3 music, and FM radio. The battery capacity is 300 hours standby, 8 hours’ intercom talk, or 10 hours’ phone talk.
- Certified with CE/UL/BQB and DOT standards.
- Package includes gloves, helmet bags, USB cable, and a user manual.
- Weighs around 3 pounds.
9. LS2 Helmets Full Face Stream Street Helmet
This Full Face Stream Street Helmet is equipped with a built-in dual shield system. It is unique in its structure and making and protects your eyes from the sun, drop down the sun shield and retract it by flipping the switch.
- Approved with the certification of DOT.
- Easily removable and washable inner liners.
- Weights around 4.8 pounds.
- High-Performance HPTT polycarbonate alloy is used for the manufacturing of the outer shell.
10. ILM Bluetooth Integrated Modular Flip-up Helmet
Equipped with Bluetooth 3.0 Technology with a range of 1000 feet and a battery capacity of 8 hours of talk time and 110 hours of standby. Easily removable and washable fabric liners with adjustable vents for proper ventilation.
- Calls can be managed with a one-touch control system. Incoming phone call overrides intercom, music, FM radio, and GPS navigation audio.
- To enjoy music while you ride, 2 high-quality speakers are built-in with full stereo sound.
- Approved with both ECE and DOT Safety Standards.
- DSP Echo Cancellation and Noise Suppression Technology offer high-quality voice at high speeds.
- The helmet weighs around 4.4 pounds
- While purchasing a helmet, it is better to find a helmet with an anti-fogging visor as the formation of mist on the face shield can cause a distraction while driving.
- Adjustable vents are better as it can be useful to control airflow during cold weather.
- Removable and washable anti-bacterial inner lining will help you keep your helmet clean and maintain its new look.
- The helmet must be approved by DOT safety standards as it assures the quality of the helmet.
- The closure system with Double D-Ring assure more safety and protection.
We have selected the best motorcycle helmets available in the market under the price of $200. If you are looking for a Full-face helmet with great levels of protection, you can go with the AGV K1 Helmet.
If you want a helmet that has bluetooth pre-installed, Freedconn Bluetooth helmet will be the best option for you.
We have also selected the HJC 980-615 IS MAXII as the best modular helmet under $200.
GIven that, you can make your choice from the list above, considering the buyer’s guide.