Employing drag bars or the casual handlebars just because you considered ape hangers dangerous at some point is a wacky move. Not only can ape hangers upright your posture and take weight away from your back so that you don’t have to hunch over.
The ape hangers also don’t strain your shoulders, but they also offer more control of your classic glider so that you can glide instead of drag down the streets. By ensuring you don’t load your weight on the bars, the ape hangers rid you of the back issues and create a high road ride profile out of your Harley that the handlebars effortlessly lower down.
With a plethora of options that often come with claims that are not valid but capable of making your wallet bleed over and over again over the repair work, we have taken it upon us to do knee-deep research through every option out there.
With our expert team putting in their personal and professional experience up to test with each product, we were able to narrow down our findings to 5 top picks that will widen your arms for a warm assurance hug since each of these are the most reliable ones out there.
Here are our top 3 choices if you are in hurry or don’t like reading too much.
- Best Ape Hangers For Harley Road Glide Reviews
- Ape Hangers Buying Guide
Best Ape Hangers For Harley Road Glide Reviews
With the design of your handlebars making more difference than the roaring of your engine, the ape hangers are what meet the demand. Imparting a high riding profile to your glide, the ape hangers also come with internal wiring features to keep the wires and cables protected from any possible external harms while ensuring stress and a fatigue-free ride.
Furthermore, the mirrors can easily be installed on the ape hangers than the handlebars since your arms won’t be up in your face, or if you are a big burly human, your mass won’t obstruct and block your rear-view. Since the ape hangers are positioned pretty much above the possible obstructions, a rider might encounter.
Start rummaging through our 5 assembled picks and take your creamy pick right away since it is a move that has been left due for long enough!
1. Wild 1 Hooked 1 1/4" Ape Hanger Handlebars
- The handlebars are pre-drilled to ease the installation process
- It has a 32 degrees wrist angle to avoid sore wrists
- Features diamond knurled grips for optimal traction and control
- It has a polished weld that doesn’t dull out the outlook of your ride
- Are a perfect fit for a 1″ diameter riser clamp and hand controls
- It is readily notched for the throttle by wire
- The paint starts chipping in a short span
- The cut-out isn’t adequate inboard and so slides left to right over the brake master annoyingly
- Some buyers feel like it’s a bit pricey, but the quality is worth the bucks
Ranking first amongst our top picks, the Hooked Ape Handlebars come with a smooth inner cover to accommodate internal wiring and cable installation besides the double-wall built for enhanced durability. Thus making them a compatible ape hanger to offer a precise yet high-grade experience.
The advantage of these Hooked Handlebars is that they readily fit on your glider in record time and jump on your ride right away compared to other rivals. While the 10 to 16 height adjustments offer from the eye to handset level to the upward setting of hands over the shoulders since riding preferences vary accordingly.
The Hooked Handlebars measure up to a variety of lengths and heights to accommodate you accordingly. The best part, though, is that you can make adjustment requests from the company at no additional cost besides the actual. They are available in:
- 10″ height x 34″ width x 9 1/2″ center width x 8 1/2″ pullback
- 12″ height x 34 1/2″ width x 9 1/2″ center width x 8 1/2″ pullback
- 14″ height x 35″ width x 9 1/2″ center width x 8 1/2″ pullback
- 16″ height x 35 1/2″ width x 9 1/2″ center width x 8 1/2″ pullback
2. LA Choppers 1 1/4" Twin Peaks Bagger Handlebars For Harley Touring
- It comes with pre-drilled handlebars for ease of wiring and cable installation
- The 1 1/4″ bar diameter is stepped to accommodate 1″ in riser and control areas.
- With the 33.5″ width x 12″ center width x 5.75″ pullback
- Suitable for factory heated grips
- Are notched up for fly by wire throttle
- Powder Coated Black finish powder
- The hole at the bottom is slightly smaller.
- The welds don’t come with a clear finish
With a layout stemming from accommodating bikes that come with batwing fairings to optimize clearance levels, the LA Choppers Twin Handlebars add up to the touring comfort by presenting grips that readily allow different wrist angles than a stock accordingly. This ensures a comfortable pullback and reduces strain on the wrists.
Another cool feature is the pre-drilled handlebars with the internal wiring option readily available that does not interfere with the overall original design of your road glider. Thus, ensuring you don’t have wires and cables hanging off from your bike and posing any sort of threat that might come with it.
Moreover, the powder coating finish enhances the durability of the handlebars for extended periods. Thus; making your glider look astonishing and good as you cruise down the road.
3. Burly 1" Narrow Ape Handlebars
- High-grade steel tubing with a 3 1/2 “ on-center knurling
- Pre-drilled and dimpled for ready installation of wires and cables
- The 32 1/2″ width x 4 1/4″ center width x 7″ pullback is suitable on and for all heights.
- Feature a 1-inch diameter
- High comfort levels and sleek look
- Are manufactured and made in the USA that promises high quality
- As much as the wiring is present in the kit, you will need to have extra hands-on wiring.
- As much simple as the installation appears to be, and you might need a pro or gear geek for the wiring and cable work
Compatible with the bikes featuring a narrow glide front end, the Burly Narrow Handlebars come with standard-width apes to avoid imparting a moose-like high-grade outlook to your Harley.
Furthermore, these hangers are crafted from high-grade steel tubing material, which translates to an amazing quality experience and companionship of these hangers-on your Harley for long periods.
Another feature that makes these handlebars popular and much-praised amongst the rider community is that it comes with an easy-to-understand guide manual to refer to in any situation where any challenge can prove to be a hurdle.
Besides, the Burly Handlebar is wide enough to assist you in making U-Turns with ner to no struggle, all the while ensuring your posture is not hunched and stays upright with highly reduced lower back and shoulder pains. Thus allowing you to go for long adventurous rides with no fatigue slowing you down.
4. Todd's Cycle 1 1/4" Strip Handlebars For Harley 1986-2016
- The ape hangers are compatible with a wide array of models.
- They feature a flat black, gloss black, or chrome finishing for a sleek look that makes it the center of attention.
- They are slotted for optional internal wiring leaving you an open choice to either go for internal installation or not.
- Are 1 1/4 bars that come down to 1-inch around the clamping region, thus make the installation easier with a flush fit
- Your hands are leveled up your shoulders at a comfortable height, which makes you feel more in control of your ride.
- Have to slightly grind or edge the end
- The chrome comes with vivid grind marks on the underside
With the manufacturers dedicated to offering you comfort and safety without cutting back on style, the Todd’s Cycle Handlebars a great fit for your Harley. And have been specifically designed to accommodate all models from raging 1986 classics to the innovative 2016 sleeks.
As a classic rider and road glider enthusiast, we all dread ape hangers that consume our time to no end during installation. These Todd’s Cycle Handlebars fit fast with fewer instructions and don’t require a gear geek or pro, as these handlebars are 1 1/4 that comes down to 1-inch around the clamping region, thus being wide diameter bars that are pre-drilled for quick installation. This, meaning that it will take a few sweat-free minutes for the installation of the wires and cables.
The dimensions are a vital feature of the handlebars that can never be overlooked, as they warrant the required comfort and traction while you ride. These Todd’s Cycle Handlebars feature 32″ width, 9″ center width, with a 5″ pullback which translates to the fact that it will be easy for you to adjust them to readily meet your comfort level.
5. KST Kustoms 1 1/4" Renegade Handlebars For Harley Road Glide / King 2015-2021
- Come in a novel polished stainless steel coat with a chrome appearance.
- Features a CNC mandrel bend of the steel
- Offer a slotted and notched internal wiring and TBW (throttle by wire) choice to the rider.
- Has knurled clamping areas for a flush fit
- Measures 34″ in overall width, 9 1/2″ wide center, and a 5″ pullback, thus warranting ease of installation.
- Are manufactured in the USA that guarantees high-grade quality
- The edges are very sharp and manage to cut and damage the wires and cables.
- Poor opening finishing making internal wiring installation messy
Want to revamp your Harley outlook boosted by a notch? Well, that means you care about your alter ego, your twin, i.e., Harley, with adequate passion and enthusiasm. These KST Kustom Handlebars offer a fresh, sleek take of their own on the traditional ape style. They feature sharp-edged angles enhancing and accentuating your ride’s lines effectively.
These KST Kustoms Handlebars not only offer comfort and safety but also serve the true value of your bucks since they are manufactured in the USA and built from high-grade quality warranted by the CNC (computer numerical control) mandrel bend of the high-end T304 ornamental graded stainless steel.
And the stainless steel polish with the chrome appearance makes it an ideal package worth the bucks with warranted durability of steel and style from chrome finishing.
Furthermore, the KST Kustom Handlebars ensure efficiency with the pre-drilled bars and knurled clamping domains. Above all, it is notched and slotted for the internal wiring and cable beside the throttle by wire control (TBW). Thus ensuring you don’t break a sweat or bleed hours for its installation compared to the other models.
Ape Hangers Buying Guide
Ape hangers, also known as the monkey bars, are a must-have item for your road glide. At this point, to help you make the prime choice, we assembled a buying guide that contains the must present vital features an ape hanger must include to serve you your buck’s worth. Here are the 4 key features you need to have in the back of your mind while making the purchase
For the tall-riding community, the ape hangers might be the most comfortable fit since anything that raises and stretches your arms suitably is a benefit. The ape hangers are there to take the weight and strain off your wrist, elbows, and shoulders.
However, for the average height rider, annoyingly tall apes will overstretch your arms and make your fingers go numb, and give your heart trouble by over-pumping to meet the blood supply. Thus, choosing the right height and size is necessary. Else your hands will grow cold faster while the vibrations will cause your fingers to fall asleep. This discomfort during a ride can lead to a mishap.
The product should make you sweat-free instead of causing you to break a sweat while installing it. The piece of equipment should come with adequately enough instructions but a guide as well to refer to in case any situation is encountered.
The installation shouldn’t cause you to dial up a pro or any gear geek that will cost you more bucks. Besides, you must have a stand-by kit to further ease up the installation process.
We all are looking for long-term investments when it comes to making a purchase. It is the quality of the piece of equipment that determines whether you are setting yourself up for the loss or a profit by getting the true value of your spending.
Hence focus on the materials the manufacturers have employed in making these ape hangers; high-grade stainless steel or iron is recommended since it is more durable than any.
While the wider the ape hangers are, the more leverage you will have and the easier it will be for you to take U-Turns with optimal control of your ride.
When the hands are positioned just above the shoulders, the strain is taken away from your shoulder and back since your hunch posture is replaced with an upright posture. However, if the handles are too close to you and not at a suitably tall height, it will pose no issue as it will ensure that the control of your ride never slips away.
The aforementioned guide and reviews have been brought together with your comfort and budget in mind. We have brought out these top 5 picks based on our personal and professional experiences since we have been on the receiving as well as the giving end of the bargain. This translates to the fact we are well aware of your possible needs and criteria.
While these picks might be leaning towards the pricey side, we would suggest you, with your best interest in our hearts, that you don’t check these off and instead save up and then buy. These products are worth each buck, and you can take us up on our word since we got your back!