If you ever had to transport your motorcycle from one place to another, you’d know the importance of a motorcycle hitch carrier.
- What Is A Motorcycle Hitch Carrier?
- Things To Consider Before Buying A Motorcycle Hitch Carrier
- Top-Rated Hitch Motorcycle Carriers
- 1. Direct Aftermarket Motorcycle Hitch Carrier
- 2. Kage Racing Motorcycle Hitch Carrier
- 3. Best Choice Product Motorcycle Hitch Carrier
- 4. Goplus 60 Motorcycle Hitch Carrier
- 5. Black Widow Motorcycle Carrier
- 6. Black Widow Deluxe Motorcycle Carrier
- 7. TMS Heavy-Duty Motorcycle Carrier
- 8. Rage Powersports Motorcycle Hitch Carrier
What Is A Motorcycle Hitch Carrier?
A motorcycle hitch carrier is a device equipped at the front or back of your car or truck to mount a motorcycle over it.
It provides the extra space to carry the motorcycle easily without having to increase your internal storage capacity in any way. That’s where hitch carriers come in.
A hitch carrier makes your life way easier than hauling or towing. They are difficult and at times, almost impossible. A hitch carrier acts as a good alternative to them. They offer some great benefits including the following:
- They offer efficiency as it is not always easy to load your motorbike on the back of your truck to carry it to the mechanics or anywhere else. However, the hitch carriers do not require that much of an effort. You can simply attach the carrier to the back or front of the car or truck to mount the bike.
- They provide safety to the vehicles that they are being attached to as well as to the one being carried on them. The carriers are at a lower level than the flatbed of a truck. It prevents the vehicle from getting dents and scratches and protects the motorcycle from meeting any accident while mounting or dismounting.
- Motorcycle hitch carriers are quite inexpensive. They offer great work at a very low cost compared to other haulers and trailers.
- Trailers and haulers require registrations and safety inspections by the DMV, which is not a part of hitch carriers. You can save yourself from such headaches by simply using a motorcycle hitch carrier.
Considering these benefits, the motorcycle hitch carriers seem to be a good choice to turn to instead of the conventional methods.
You can find a variety of these carriers online and offline and grab the one that suits you best.
To help you with that decision, we have here some valuable data about motorcycle hitch carriers.
Things To Consider Before Buying A Motorcycle Hitch Carrier
You certainly want to invest your money into something that can provide you with long-term benefits. For that, you have to consider a list of things that can help you make the right choice. The list includes:
The two most common and build materials used for motorcycle hitch carriers are steel and aluminum. They are both excellent and hard-wearing. There are certain differences between the two that you must know before deciding one.
Lightweight hitch carriers are usually made up of aluminum. They are easy to maneuver and are quite resistant to corrosion and rust. They are best to carry light bikes, but cannot hold heavy bikes.
The motorcycle hitch carriers made up of steel are usually heavy and weigh around 100 lbs. To keep the heavyweight down the steel carriers are made with spaces. Unlike the aluminum carriers, these carriers can hold heavy weights easily. The steel used in these carriers is resistant to corrosion, but not as much as aluminum.
The weight limit is mainly based on the material used in the carrier. As seen earlier, aluminum can carry lighter weight than steel. Most of them carry between 400 to 600 lbs. When considering the weight, it is important to leave a little leeway because your bike’s weight may differ with and without a full tank.
Vehicle’s Hauling Capacity
You must know the maximum hauling capacity of the vehicle you are mounting the carrier at. You can denote this with “hitch class type”. There are around five classes, each of which has a different hitch weight capacity. The following data shows all the relevant information about each class type
· Class I
Hitch Capacity: 300 lbs.
Vehicles: subcompact, Sedan, SUV, van, light-duty truck, heavy-duty pickup
· Class II
Hitch Capacity: 525 lbs.
Vehicles: Sedan, SUV, van, light-duty truck, heavy-duty pickup
· Class III
Hitch Capacity: 1200 lbs.
Vehicles: SUV, van, light-duty truck, heavy-duty pickup
· Class IV and V
Hitch Capacity: 2700 lbs.
Vehicles: light-duty truck, heavy-duty pickup
Once you are sure about all the above-stated factors, you must check the carrier’s installation process. Some hitch carriers come with hitch pins and others with bolts and nuts. You can find the installation manual with the product, both online and offline.
Ramp Type & Length
Ramps are the inclined planes of the carriers that provide easy and secure mounting and dismounting of the motorcycle. The ramps can vary depending upon their length and type. The three main types of ramps are attachable ramps, tilting ramps, and sliding ramps. Some of them are longer than others and can be chosen based on the length of the bike.
The more features the carrier offers, the more expensive it gets. You’d definitely want to grab the one that meets your needs as well as your budget. However, make sure to choose the one that is more reliable and can serve for a long time, so to utilize your investment to its maximum.
Safety accessories are as important as the carrier itself. They include straps and soft loops to secure the motorcycle over the carrier and increase stability. Anti-tilt locking devices and hitch pins keep the motorcycle in place and prevent it from wobbling during transport. If these things are not taken care of, they can cause serious accidents and injuries. So you must look for these accessories in your hitch carrier set. If you don’t have them in a package, make sure to buy separately before hitting the road.
Top-Rated Hitch Motorcycle Carriers
To help you further with your purchase, we have gathered some top-rated motorcycle hitch carriers. You can check them out to have a good idea of what you might find once you are in the market. You can have a detailed view of why they are highly rated and if they are the right choice for you too.
1. Direct Aftermarket Motorcycle Hitch Carrier
Direct Aftermarket has excellent repute in the hitch carrier market. Its super sturdy steel hitch motorcycle carrier is one of the most demanded carriers. It is made up of heavy-duty, tubular steel, which is coated with epoxy powder to make it resistant to weather. The coating does not wear off easily, making it waterproof as well as resistant to corrosion. This adds to the durability of the carrier and extended life span.
The carrier is perfect for hauling various types of motorcycles, including dirt bikes, sportbikes, scooters, etc. as long as they weigh 500 lbs. or less because the carrier is not designed to support heavier weight. It has a width of 76 inches and a length of 33 inches.
The carrier comes with an attachable ramp which can be placed on either side of the rack, enabling you to load the motorcycle from either side. The ramp has a length of 38 inches and can accommodate wheels up to 5 inches wide.
The hitch carrier is compatible with class type III and IV. It requires a square hole hitch receiver of about 2 inches. You’d have to buy a hitch pin separately as it is not provided with the product. What’s included, is the anti-tilt locking system, which prevents your motorcycle from wobbling during the journey.
This device is quite convenient to assemble with all the hardware and instructions provided along. It hardly takes fifteen to twenty minutes to be done.
- Steel frame weighing up to 58 pounds
- Anti-tilt locking mechanism
- Weather-resistant and rust-resistant
- Includes loading ramp
- Compatible with class III and IV trailer
- Can hold up to 500 lbs.
- Requires 2-inch hitch receiver
2. Kage Racing Motorcycle Hitch Carrier
The Kage Racing’s motorcycle hitch carrier is exceptionally convenient. It can carry various types of bikes ranging from off-road dirt bikes to scooters. It is compatible with class II, III, IV, and V trailer hitch. Therefore, it can be used for SUVs, vans, pickup trucks and campers. The carrier fits into a two-inch square hitch.
The carrier is made up of lightweight aluminum, which is used in aircraft. It premium quality aluminum prevents the carrier from rusting and offers a durable performance.
The carrier is good for 5 ½ inch wide tires and can easily fit a motorcycle with a length of up to 75 inches. It also comes with an attachable ramp to ease the process of loading and unloading the motorcycle. It is quite light in weight and can be easily attached to either side of the carrier.
The anti-wobble locking system keeps the motorcycle in place and prevents it from wobbling during the journey. It comes with three locking screws, which enhance the security of the motorcycle being transported.
- Lightweight aluminum body
- Attachable ramp
- Anti-wobble locking system
- Compatible with class II, III, IV, and V trailer hitch
- Suitable for RVs, SUVs, pickup trucks and campers
- Requires 2-inch square trailer hitch
3. Best Choice Product Motorcycle Hitch Carrier
The Best Choice Products offer a great solution to carry your motorbike, dirt bike or scooters to anywhere with complete security and ease.
The hitch carrier is made with heavy-duty steel, which gives it great strength and durability. It is coated with a black powder finish.
The carrier can carry a weight of up to 500 lbs. It features a portable design with a length of 76 inches and a width of 7 inches, making it extra-long.
The carrier comes with a ramp which can be adjusted to either side of it for loading and unloading the bike. The ramp has a length of 38.5 inches and a width of 4.75 inches.
The ramp has a locking device which does not let your precious bike move or tilt during the journey and keeps it secure at its position.
The carrier is quite easy to assemble. The manufacturer has included eight bolts in the package along with the carrier. So you do not have to worry about getting the right size of bolts separately. However, it does not come with a hitch pin.
The carrier is compatible with class II, III, IV and V trailer hitch type and fits into a standard 2-inch square hitch receiver.
- Steel construction
- Powder coating
- Anti-rattle locking system
- Includes 8 bolts
- Fits hitch receiver of 2 inches
- Compatible with class II, III, IV and V trailer hitch type
- Can carry up to 500 lbs.
- 76-inch long carrier
- Ramp length is 38.5 and width is 4.75
4. Goplus 60 Motorcycle Hitch Carrier
The Goplus offers a heavy-duty and exceptionally strong motorcycle carrier. The carrier is made up of high-quality steel which grants the product its strength and toughness and a weight of about 91 lbs. The steel body is impermeable to water and does not rust even if left out in the rain. Moreover, the body of the carrier is coated with a black powder which grants it resistance to corrosion and protects it from various weather conditions to ensure durable performance.
The carrier can bear a greater load than usual carriers. It has a load-bearing capacity of up to 600 lbs, which makes it suitable to carry lightweight bikes as well as various heavy motorcycles. It is advised not to drive faster than 55 MPH with this carrier attached.
The carrier has a length of 79 inches and is 8-inch wide. It requires a two-inch hitch receiver and comes with ¾ inch hitch pins. So you do not have to buy them separately. The carrier is armed with an adjustable wheel chock to keep the motorcycle stable once loaded. Goplus further enhances offered security with its locking system. It provides you with two quick-release locks to keep your bike fully secured even on a bumpy track.
Mounting and dismounting your motorcycle is quite easy with Goplus ramp included with the carrier. It comes with a length of 72 inches and a width of 7.5 inches.
The product requires assemblage, which is quite an easy process and does not take a long time. In case of any confusion or inconvenience, you can easily contact Goplus’s customer service.
- Durable and tough steel frame
- Resistant to corrosion
- The load-bearing ability of up to 600 lbs.
- Requires a hitch receiver of about 2 inch
- Includes hitch pin
- Carrier track has a length of 79 inches
- Adjustable wheel chock
- Offers locking system with two quick-release locks
- Shipped in two packages
- Requires assemblage
- Active customer service
5. Black Widow Motorcycle Carrier
You can easily carry your motorbike, scooter or dirt bike anywhere with the Black Widow motorcycle hitch carrier. This amazing carrier is made up of heavy-duty steel for extraordinary performance. The steel frame of the carrier grants it great sturdiness, strength and durability. The carrier is finished with a powder coating that makes it resistant to corrosion and ensures extended life.
The carrier can bear a load of up to 600 lbs. It has a 78.7-inch long rack with a width of 8 inches. You can easily mount your bike over it with its removable ramp. The ramp is longer than other usual ramps and has a length of about 71 inches. It extends to the right of the carrier for you to mount the bike.
The Black Widow offers exceptional security features with its high-tech locking mechanism. The brand offers an anti-tilt device and an adjustable wheel stop which secures the wheel from seven different positions. This enhances the safety of you as well as your bike while you drive over various terrains at any speed you want to. The carrier also comes with a hitch pin of 5/8 inch.
This hitch carrier is designed to fit hitch class type III and IV and requires a standard hitch receiver of 2 inches. This makes it suitable for SUV, van, light-duty truck, and heavy-duty pickup.
Once you receive the package, you will need to assemble the parts according to the provided instructions.
- Heavy-duty steel construction
- Powder coat offers resistance to corrosion
- The load capacity is up to 600 lbs.
- 71-inch long ramp
- 78.7-inch long rack with a width of 8 inches
- Suits class III and IV hitch class type
- Appropriate for SUV, van, light-duty truck, heavy-duty pickup
- Comes with a 5/8 inch hitch pin
- Has anti-tilt device and adjustable wheel chock
- Weighs about 98 lbs.
6. Black Widow Deluxe Motorcycle Carrier
Deluxe motorcycle carrier is another great product by the Black Widow. You can transport your motorcycles and scooters from place to place with this handy hitch carrier.
It is compatible with hitch class type III and IV, which makes it suitable for SUV, van, light-duty truck, heavy-duty pickup. It requires a two-inch hitch receiver like other standard carriers.
The body of the carrier is different from many others. It, unlike others, utilizes the properties of both steel and aluminum. It has a high-performance steel body with an aluminum track. The aluminum makes it rust-proof which makes it suitable to be taken out in a rainy season. The steel and aluminum together, grant extra durability and strength to the carrier.
The aluminum track is 78.75-inches long and 8-inches wide and has side borders for safely mounting the bike. The loading ramp of the bike is 72 inches long and can be extended to the right of the carrier for mounting or dismounting the bike.
The Black Widow has equipped this carrier with great security features too. It has included a hitch pin of 5/8 inch and an anti-tilt device to keep the keep from moving. It also has an adjustable wheel chock to secure the wheels the moment they are mounted. The wheel chock is built-in and offers 7-position adjustability. The carrier has four attachment points to secure the vehicle. The product comes with several guidelines which must be followed.
- Steel body aluminum track
- Resistant to rust
- 78.75-inches long and 8-inches wide track
- Loading ramp of 72 inches
- Weight capacity of 600 lbs.
- Comes with a hitch pin, built-in wheel chock, anti-rattle lock, and four attachment points
- Suitable for hitch class type III and IV and can be used with SUV, van, light-duty truck, heavy-duty pickup
- Requires a hitch receiver of 2 inches
7. TMS Heavy-Duty Motorcycle Carrier
If you are done destroying your expensive bikes by putting them in the bed of trucks, then this carrier is right for you.
TMS has utilized heavy-duty steel in the construction of this carrier which ensures durability and resilience. It is made insusceptible to chipping and wearing by finishing it with a powder coat.
The carrier is a perfect fit for a 2-inch square receiver. It is compatible with class II, III, IV, or V hitch type, which makes it suitable for SUV, van, light-duty truck, heavy-duty pickup.
The loading ramp can be attached to either side of the carrier and can be kept away when not in use. The carrier can hold a weight of up to 500 lbs. The ramp is 38 ½ inches long.
TMC has also featured an anti-locking device which is created from durable with a bolt-on accessory. It prevents the bikes from swaying and also contains tie-down points besides the track as an additional security feature. The carrier is very easy to install with the provided eight bolts.
- Lightweight and durable hitch carrier made up of heavy-duty steel
- Covered with a powdered coat
- Resistant to scratches and fading
- Has a weight-bearing capacity of 500 lbs.
- Requires a hitch receiver of 2 inches
- Compatible with class II, III, IV, or V hitch type
- 38 ½ inch long ramp
- Anti-locking device and tie-down points offer security
- Comes with eight bolts
8. Rage Powersports Motorcycle Hitch Carrier
Rage Powersports has come up with the best seller and the best performer motorcycle carrier with its high-quality and luxury features at the most affordable price.
The carrier is made up of high-quality steel and is coated with a black powder which adds to its durability by making it resistant to corrosion. The carrier offers a greater weight carrying capacity, which ranges to up to 600 lbs.
The track has a length of 74.75 inches and a width of 5.5 inches. It weighs around 62 lbs. The spaces of the track can be adjusted according to the size of the tires.
The carrier comes with a self-storing ramp, which is around 60-inches long and 7-inches wide.
The carrier comes with a hitch pin of 5/8 inches and tie-down points to keep the bike in place during the journey. It also has an anti-rattle feature which adds to the enhanced security features.
- Made up of high-quality steel
- Covered with black powder coat which makes it resistant to corrosion
- Has a weight-bearing capacity of 600 lbs.
- Track length is 74.75 inches and width is 5.5 inches
- Carrier’s weight is 62 lbs.
- Around 60-inches long and 7-inches wide self-storing ramp
- Comes with a hitch pin, tie-down points and an anti-tilt device
A motorcycle hitch carrier is meant to provide you with a cheap and quick way to transport your motorcycle anywhere you want. However, if not chosen properly, it can leave you with a broken or severely damaged motorcycle. Therefore, it is important to check all the required features of a carrier before buying one.
If you are short on a budget, then you can check the Direct After Market hitch carrier but if you can afford the Black Widow has to offer something of great value.